The wildfire danger to moderate for the Whitecourt Forest Area, due to warmer temperatures, and the high probability of lightning. Although a wildfire will not start easily, it is always important to prepare, watch, and extinguish all fires, including campfires.
Thunderstorms producing lightning are moving through the are, if you see smoke in the forest, call 310-FIRE (3473).
Image: Scattered thundershowers in the Whitecourt Forest Area
WILDFIRE SITUATION | July 9, 2018, at 10:00 a.m.Whitecourt Forest Area
- In the last 24 hours, there have been zero wildfires in the Whitecourt Forest Area.
- Since March 1, 2018, there have been 45 wildfires; with a total area burnt of 12.30 hectares.
- There are 25 wildfires in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta.
- Current wildfire status: 2 wildfires are being held, 18 are under control and 5 have been turned over to the responsible party.
- Since March 1, 2018, Alberta has recorded 903 wildfires in the Forest Protection Area; with a total area burnt of 39,970.49 hectares.
HELP PREVENT WILDFIRE
Never leave your campfire unattended, and when finished, soak it, stir it, and soak it again. Learn more.
Before you go camping, or taking a vehicle off-road, find out about fire advisories, restrictions, bans, and off-highway vehicle restrictions at Albertafirebans.ca, or on the Alberta Fire Bans app for Android or Apple devices.
FIRE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED
Free fire permits are required for any burning (except campfires) within the Forest Protection Area of Alberta. Permits help firefighters know where planned burning is taking place, leaving them ready to respond to new wildfires.
If you need a fire permit in the Whitecourt Forest Area, call 780-778-7272.
If you burn without a permit, or outside of the permit conditions, your fire is a wildfire. Learn about violation tickets for burning without a permit.
FireSmart Community Series 2018 – Working Towards a Resilient Alberta
- When: October 2nd – 4th, 2018
- Where: MacDonald Island Conference Centre, Fort MacMuarry, Alberta
- Register for the conference
ALBERTA WILDFIRE INFORMATION
- Email: subscribe to the email distribution list for the Whitecourt Forest Area Wildfire Update.
- Web sites: wildfire.alberta.ca, wildfirestatus.alberta.ca, Albertafirebans.ca
- Mobile Apps: