Wildfire Update - October 5, 2020
The wildfire danger rating for the Whitecourt Forest Area is HIGH.
Fire Advisory in effect for the Whitecourt Forest Area.
A fire advisory is in effect as of 3 pm MST on October 5 in the Whitecourt Forest Area. This advisory is due to a high fire danger and suspends all active permits, except burn barrels and incinerators, until further notice. We will be assessing conditions daily and will adjust the advisory as required.
There are currently four wildfires burning in the Whitecourt Forest Area:
- WWF-033 - This wildfire is currently under control at 0.6 hectares in size.
- WWF-035 - This wildfire is currently under control at 0.87 hectares in size.
- WWF-036 - This wildfire is currently contained at 3.91 hectares in size. There are five firefighters and an intermediate helicopter fighting the fire.
- WWF-037 - This wildfire is currently contained and is 0.5 hectares in size. There are nine firefighters and one medium helicopter fighting the fire.
Since March 1, there have been 37 wildfires in the Whitecourt Forest Area, burning a total of 8.52 hectares.
For more information on the current wildfire situation across the province of Alberta, visit wildfirestatus.alberta.ca.
Help Prevent Wildfires
While out hunting and recreating, please remember to use caution in the forest. During the fall, dry grass and branches can be ignited into a wildfire when campfires aren't properly extinguished. If you have a campfire remember to soak it with water, stir it and soak it again. The fire isn't out until it is cool to the touch.
Please visit AlbertaFireBans.ca for a map of the affected area.
For more information, please contact:
- Alberta Wildfire
- Alberta Fire Bans
- FireSmart in Alberta
- Alberta Emergency Alerts
- Air Quality Health Index
- Wildfire Smoke and Your Health
- 511 Road Reports
- Emergency Preparation