Continuous dry weather, and the high probability of lightning, increases the wildfire danger to very high in the Whitecourt Forest Area. Under the current conditions, a wildfire will start easily and spread quickly.
If you see smoke in the forest, report it by calling 310-FIRE (3473).
WILDFIRE SITUATION | July 16, 2018, at 4:00 p.m.
Whitecourt Forest Area
- In the last 24 hours, there was one wildfire in the Whitecourt Forest Area; firefighters quickly extinguished the wildfire at 0.01 hectares in size.
- Since March 1, 2018, there have been 47 wildfires; with a total area burnt of 12.32 hectares.
Province of Alberta
- There are 19 wildfires in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta.
- Current wildfire status: 3 wildfires are being held, 10 are under control and 6 have been turned over to the responsible party.
- Since March 1, 2018, Alberta has recorded 927 wildfires in the Forest Protection Area; with a total area burnt of 46,047.01 hectares.
HELP PREVENT WILDFIRE
Never leave your campfire unattended, and when finished, soak it, stir it, and soak it again. Learn more.
Before you go camping, or taking a vehicle off-road, find out about fire advisories, restrictions, bans, and off-highway vehicle restrictions at Albertafirebans.ca, or on the Alberta Fire Bans app for Android or Apple devices.
FIRE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED
Free fire permits are required for any burning (except campfires) within the Forest Protection Area of Alberta. Permits help firefighters know where planned burning is taking place, leaving them ready to respond to new wildfires.
If you need a fire permit in the Whitecourt Forest Area, call 780-778-7272.
If you burn without a permit, or outside of the permit conditions, your fire is a wildfire. Learn about violation tickets for burning without a permit.
FireSmart is living with, and managing for wildfire on our landscape. Did you know a watered lawn is FireSmart? Learn more today at firesmartcanada.ca.
FireSmart Community Series 2018 – Working Towards a Resilient Alberta
- When: October 2nd – 4th, 2018
- Where: MacDonald Island Conference Centre, Fort MacMuarry, Alberta
- Register for the conference
ALBERTA WILDFIRE INFORMATION
- Email: subscribe to the email distribution list for the Whitecourt Forest Area Wildfire Update.
- Web sites: wildfire.alberta.ca, wildfirestatus.alberta.ca, Albertafirebans.ca
- Mobile Apps: