Due to the strong and gusty winds expected today the wildfire danger in the Slave Lake Forest Area has climbed to HIGH.
This afternoon the winds are expected to become very strong and gusty. Under these windy conditions a wildfire will spread quickly. Use caution and report wildfires immediately by calling 310-FIRE.
Fire Permit holders must postpone all burning as the winds exceed the safe burning conditions on your fire permit.
Wildfire Update October 5, 2020
Since March 1 in the Slave Lake Forest Area, there have been 63 wildfires which have burned a total of 271 hectares.
For information on the current wildfire situation across the province of Alberta, visit wildfirestatus.alberta.ca.
In the Forest Protection Area of Alberta, a fire permit is required for all types of burning, except for a cooking or warming fire.
To request your free fire permit call your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry Office.
Slave Lake/Red Earth/Peerless/Trout 780-849-7377
High Prairie 780-523-6619
Fire permits help us to track what is burning on the landscape. If you're burning without a fire permit or outside fire permit conditions, your fire is considered a wildfire. By getting a fire permit you help keep our firefighters free to fight real wildfires instead of responding to the smoke in your backyard.
- Get a permit if you're within the Forest Protection Area and you plan on burning with the exception of a campfire. For permit information, click here.
- Clear debris from hot spots on your off-highway vehicle.
- Ensure your campfire is out - Soak it, stir it, soak it again.
- Visit the albertafirebans.ca website or download the app to stay informed.
- If you spot a wildfire report it by calling 310-FIRE.
Firefighters thank you for doing your part to prevent wildfires.
Unless conditions change you can expect your next wildfire update on October 6th.
If you have any questions please contact:
Wildfire Information Officer
- Alberta Wildfire
- Alberta Fire Bans
- FireSmart in Alberta
- Alberta Emergency Alerts
- Air Quality Health Index
- Wildfire Smoke and Your Health
- 511 Road Reports
- Emergency Preparation