As we head into the last few days of September, please keep fire safety top of mind and remember wildfire season does not end until October 31.
Visit www.albertafirebans.ca for information on fire advisories, restrictions or bans which may be in place in your area.
As the forest vegetation begins to dry out as we move further into fall, that vegetation will become very flammable increasing the risk of wildfire starts. In these conditions, wildfires could spread quickly, especially in strong or gusty winds. Please protect Alberta’s forested areas by always remembering to fully extinguish your campfire and report wildfires by calling 310-FIRE.
The average wildfire danger in the Peace River Forest Area is now HIGH due to the drying forest vegetation and strong winds.
So far this season, there have been 50 wildfires in the Peace River Forest Area, all but one of which have now been extinguished.
Please call 310-FIRE to report wildfires.
BEFORE YOU BURN IT, GET A PERMIT
Fire permits are required for all burning within the Forest Protection Area, with the exception of campfires. To inquire about getting your free fire permit, call the Peace River Forest Area office at 780-624-6190.
Please remember that if you intend to burn once you've obtained your fire permit, you must evaluate the weather at your specific location and follow the conditions on your permit. You can be held responsible if a fire escapes the burn permit area.
SAFE OHV USE
If you choose to drive an off-highway vehicle in Alberta’s forested areas please remember:
- OHV exhausts can get very hot, reaching temperatures of over 200 Celsius, causing debris caught near the exhaust to become heated. This debris can potentially start a wildfire when it falls to the ground.
- Before you ride, clean any debris that has built up near the exhaust and muffler, under the seat, in wheel wells and around the engine.
- Carry a small fire extinguisher, a collapsible shovel and water. These tools can help extinguish a wildfire and safely dispose of hot debris.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Bookmark the Peace River Wildfire Update and check for updates anytime or subscribe to have it emailed to you
- Download our app, available for Apple and Android devices.
- You can also find us on Facebook,Twitter, Youtube
- or visit www.wildfire.alberta.ca
For more information, please contact:
Crystal Burrows | Wildfire Information Officer
Mobile: (780) 618-6215
Report Wildfires 310-FIRE (3743)