FIRE SEASON STARTS MARCH 1
The 2020 Fire Season starts March 1, 2020. As of that date, fire permits will be required for all burning, with the exception of heating or warming fires, within the Forest Protection Area of Alberta. Call the Peace River Forest Area office at 780-624-6190 to find out how to obtain your FREE fire permit.
All winter burning should be extinguished by March 1st. If you have questions regarding this, please call the Peace River Forest Area office at the number above.
DO YOUR PART TO PREVENT SPRING WILDFIRES
Although it's cold and there is snow on the ground, conditions are favorable for holdover fires. A fire left smoldering can burn under the snow all winter long emerging as a wildfire in the spring. Please be responsible and burn safely.
Be sure to extinguish your campfires
Soak it with water, stir it up and soak it again. The ashes should be cool to the touch.
Check your winter brush piles to ensure they are extinguished
- STIR IT: spread out the remaining material within the pile using a metal probe, or if necessary, heavy equipment. Dig down into the soil to make sure the fire has not burned down to the root system.
- SOAK IT: soak the area and ensure both heat and smoke are no longer being produced by the pile.
- STIR IT AGAIN: Roll the debris over. Using your bare hand, feel for heat while looking for steam. A fire is not out until there is absolutely no heat coming from the ashes.
Learn about safe winter burning practices and brush pile and windrow burning.
The wildfire danger level is LOW in the Peace River Forest Area. Despite the low hazard levels, please remember, safe winter burning practices are always in season.
Throughout the winter months, Alberta Wildfire will continue to monitor and respond to any wildfires. To report a wildfire in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta, call 310-FIRE (3473).
For more information on the wildfire situation across the province of Alberta, visit: wildfire.alberta.ca.
BECOME PART OF OUR TEAM
Are You Interested in Protecting Alberta's Communities?
Does team work, safety and dedication inspire you?
Become a dispatcher, work with air tankers or in a warehouse - there are many possibilities and here is your chance!
For more information or to apply visit our website.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Bookmark the Peace River Wildfire Update and check for updates anytime or subscribe to have it emailed to you
- Download our app, available for Apple and Android devices.
- You can also find us on Facebook,Twitter, Youtube
- or visit www.wildfire.alberta.ca
Wildfire Information Officer
Report Wildfires 310-FIRE (3743)