New Measures To Reduce Spring Wildfires
All fire permits are suspended in the Grande Prairie Forest Area. Re-check all burn sites for smoke, flame or heat. All fires are to be extinguished, landowners are responsible for ensuring any holdover fires are out at this time.
As part of Alberta Wildfire's Response Plan to COVID-19, A Fire Ban and OHV Restriction have been issued for the Forest Protection Area of Alberta effective April 15th at 2:00 pm.
These measures aim to reduce the number of human caused wildfires, as most if not all wildfires in the early spring are caused by human activity.
Reducing human caused wildfires helps keep our firefighting resources focused where they are most needed, especially when our firefighting resources may be challenged due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All fire permits are suspended and no new fire permits will be issued.
- All open fires including campfires in campgrounds, backcountry and random camping areas and backyard fire pits.
- Charcoal briquettes
- Fireworks and exploding targets.
- The use of off-highway vehicles for recreational use on all public lands.
- Portable propane fire pits that are CSA approved or UL certified.
- Gas or propane stoves and barbecues that are CSA approved or UL certified and are designed for cooking or heating.
- Catalytic or infrared-style heaters.
- OHVs for industrial use, agricultural use, and traditional use by Indigenous peoples, as well as use on private lands.
What is an OHV?
- An “off-highway vehicle” is a motorized vehicle designed to go beyond defined roadways, including but not limited to:
- Side by sides;
- Dirt bikes;
- 4x4 Jeeps;
- Pick-up trucks; or
- Sport utility vehicles.
The OHV restriction does not apply to private land or agriculture, institutional (educational), commercial/ industrial, emergency response or Indigenous peoples who use OHV for traditional use.
Anyone found to be non-compliant of the fire ban may receive a violation ticket of $600 and non-compliant with the OHV restriction, a violation ticket of $1200.
To view a map of the Fire Ban/OHV Restriction visit www.albertafirebans.ca