Wildfire Update - June 12, 2020
The wildfire danger rating in the Fort McMurray Forest Area is MODERATE in the Fort McMurray area and LOW in the For Chipewyan area.
Since March 1, there have been seven wildfires in the Fort McMurray Forest Area, all have been extinguished.
For more information on the current wildfire situation across the province of Alberta, visit wildfirestatus.alberta.ca
There is a fire advisory in place inside the Forest Protection Area of Alberta, as well as in Alberta provincial parks and protected areas until further notice.
A fire permit is required for burning other than a cooking and warming fire. Fire permits are being issued but will need to be approved by a Forest Officer. Please call 780-743-7125 to request a fire permit.
A fire advisory means Albertans in the Forest Protection Area can safely enjoy the use of a fire pit in their backyard, charcoal briquettes on a barbecue, or a safe campfire.
- safe wood campfires
- backyard fire pits
- charcoal briquette barbecues
- use of propane, natural gas or powered appliance
- catalytic or infrared-style heaters
- safe burning with a permit
- recreational off-highway vehicle use
Stay tuned to www.albertafirebans.ca throughout the wildfire season for more information about fire bans and restrictions in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta.
If you choose to drive an off-highway vehicle in Alberta’s forested areas please remember:
- OHV exhausts can get very hot, reaching temperatures of over 200 Celsius, causing debris caught near the exhaust to become superheated. This debris can potentially start a wildfire when it falls to the ground.
- It is crucial for Albertans to stop and check OHVs and the ground for any debris that may have fallen.
- Before you ride, clean any debris that has built up near the exhaust and muffler, under the seat, in wheel wells and around the engine.
- Always carry a small fire extinguisher, a collapsible shovel and water. These tools can help extinguish a wildfire and safely dispose of hot debris.
Thanks for doing your part to prevent wildfire.
For more information, please contact:
Wildfire Information Officer, Fort McMurray Forest Area
Phone: 1-780-623-9758 or 1-866-394-3473
- Alberta Wildfire
- Alberta Fire Bans
- FireSmart in Alberta
- Alberta Emergency Alerts
- Air Quality Health Index
- Wildfire Smoke and Your Health
- 511 Road Reports
- Emergency Preparation