Warmer temperatures and dry conditions in the Fort McMurray Forest Area have pushed the fire danger rating to high.
A Fire Ban and Off-Highway Vehicle Restriction has been issued in the Forest Protection Area of Alberta for most of northern Alberta, including the Fort McMurray Forest Area south of Lake Athabasca, the Lac La Biche Forest Area, the northern regions of the Slave Lake Forest Area, most of the Peace River Forest Area and all of the High level Forest Area.
All fire permits are suspended and no new fire permits will be issued.
- All open fires including campfires in campgrounds, backcountry and random camping areas and backyard fire pits.
- Charcoal briquettes, turkey fryers and tiki torches.
- Fireworks and exploding targets.
- The use of off-highway vehicles for recreational use on all public lands.
- Portable propane fire pits that are CSA approved or UL certified.
- Gas or propane stoves and barbecues that are CSA approved or UL certified and are designed for cooking or heating.
- Catalytic or infrared-style heaters.
- OHVs for industrial use, agricultural use, and traditional use by Indigenous peoples, as well as use on private lands.
The Fire Ban and Off-Highway Vehicle Restriction will remain in effect until conditions improve.
To view a map of the Fire Ban/OHV Restriction visit www.albertafirebans.ca
Fire lookouts are on high alert constantly watching for smoke and firefighters in helicopters, various pieces of heavy equipment and airtankers are ready to respond to any new wildfires that may start.
“Windy conditions, along with continued warm and dry weather in northern Alberta, have increased the risk of wildfire throughout the area. This fire ban will ensure the safety of Albertans and their communities as well as protecting our forests by reducing that risk.”
Devin Dreeshen, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry
If you spot a wildfire, call 310-FIRE!
For more information:
Outside the Urban Service Area contact: Agriculture and Forestry at 780-743-7125
Wildfire Information Officer
Lynn Daina 780-743-7265