The wildfire hazard remains LOW for the Slave Lake Forest Area.
Wildfire Situation in the Slave Lake Forest Area
Since April 1st there have been 218 wildfires in the Slave Lake Forest Area and just over 2,261 hectares burned.
For information on the wildfire situation across Alberta visit www.wildfire.alberta.ca
Fire permits are required until October 31st.
October 31st marks the official end of the wildfire season, until then fire permits are required for any type of burning (except campfires) in the Forest Protection Area.
Fire permits are free and can be obtained by calling your local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry office:
- Slave Lake/Red Earth/Peerless/Trout 780-849-7377
- Wabasca 780-891-3860
- High Prairie 780-523-6619
A wildfire at this time of year is 100 per cent preventable. Most if not all of the wildfires we see at this time of year are human-caused. Human-caused wildfires are 100 per cent preventable. Please do your part to prevent wildfires!
Follow these tips when working or recreating in the forest.
- When riding your off-highway vehicle stop frequently to clear away any debris that builds up and carry firefighting equipment on board.
- Never leave your campfire unattended and make sure it's out. Soak it with water. Stir up the ashes and soak it again.
- When operating farm equipment be sure to clear your machine of flammable crop residue, check for sparks frequently and carry firefighting equipment on board.
- Refrain from using shooting targets that explode.These incendiary targets can cause a wildfire and for this reason their use has been prohibited until the end of wildfire season on October 31, 2016.
- Before you burn it get a permit. If you are burning without a fire permit or outside your fire permit conditions your fire is a wildfire.
Did you know? 30% of wildfires each year are reported by Albertans.To report a wildfire call 310-FIRE (3473).
Visit beta.albertfirebans.ca to learn more about current fire bans across the province.
Unless conditions change, you can expect your next wildfire update October 24th, 2016.
Leah Lovequist -Wildfire Information Officer
Mobile: 780.849.0945 Leah.Lovequist@gov.ab.ca
Report Wildfires 310-FIRE (3473)