End of Wildfire Season - Burn permits are no longer required
The wildfire danger is LOW in the Edson Forest Area (EFA). We ask that you use caution when camping, hunting or working in the outdoors and keep watch of your surroundings. Cured grass and fine fuels are extremely dry and any spark, hot exhaust or friction can start a wildfire.
The Wildfire Season has officially come to an end and permits are no longer required when burning. The new fire season will start March 1, 2019. Help prevent wildfires and ensure your piles are fully extinguished.
Many landowners and industry representatives will be conducting winter burning. We ask that you always use caution when burning and that you are aware of the following:
- To assist the Edson Forest Area in regards to reports of smoke or flame, we ask that you contact the dispatch line (780) 723-8507 with the following:
- Name of landowner burning or company and representative name.
- Phone number in case of emergency.
- Legal land description or latitude/longitude.
- Ensure that you have the proper tools with you at any burn, including an axe, two shovels and at least 200 litres of water.
- Do not burn if the wind speed is over 15 km/h. Wind can pick up sparks or embers and start a wildfire if the conditions are right.
- As with any burning, do not attempt to burn more then you can control.
- Check your burns, especially in the spring. A smoldering fire can burrow under the ground and re-surface months later.
- If you have any questions about proper burning procedures, visit wildfire.alberta.ca or phone 310-0000.
Looking for unique employment next summer?
Alberta Wildfire is accepting applications for various wildfire positions through out the winter months for next fire season. If you or someone you know loves the outdoors and believes in teamwork, Alberta Agriculture and Forestry may have a job for you! Visit our "Recruitment" link.
ALBERTA WILDFIRE INFORMATION