CALGARY FOREST AREA WILDFIRE SUMMARY
CWF-258 is now classified as Under Control, meaning that the wildfire is completely contained and will be extinguished. It is located near Highway 22 and Chimney Rock Road. There are 96 firefighting personnel, 4 helicopters and various pieces of heavy equipment currently fighting this wildfire.
The cause of the wildfire is under investigation.
FIRE ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT
- All fire permits are suspended and no new fire permits will be issued.
- Safe campfires are permitted in campgrounds and backcountry or random camping areas.
The Fire Advisory has been in effect since October 17, 2017. Further restrictions may be implemented if conditions persist.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK ALBERTAFIREBANS.CA OR CALL 1-866-FYI-FIRE
WILDFIRE PREVENTION TIPS
Albertans are always asked to use caution when recreating within the FPA:
- Clear debris from hot spots on your Off-Highway Vehicle.
- Ensure your campfire is out - Soak it, Stir it, Soak it Again.
PROVINCIAL SUMMARY - 30 OCTOBER 2017
- Alberta currently has 17 wildfires: 15 are Under Control and 2 have been Turned Over to the responsible parties.
- Since March 1, Alberta has recorded 1,229 wildfires that have burned a total of 49,129.35 hectares.
2017 REGULATION CHANGES FOR THE FOREST PROTECTION AREA
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry has made changes to the Forest Prairie and Protection Act and Regulations. The changes are in support of the government commitment to protect Albertans and their communities from the threat of wildfire. Full details on the changes can be found here.
Calgary Wildfire Information Officer